Filed under entertainment, features

Halloween holiday horrors

Haunted houses remain a popular attraction during the spooky season, attracting thousand of thrill-seekers

FRANKEN-PHOTO: Seniors Mia Roberts and Allie Pena, along with juniors Lilly Secrest, Levi Ralston, and Trey Kocher pose with a costumed Frankenstein at Sweetwater Lake. Roberts did not enjoy the feeling of fear in the moment, but reported the rush as a rewarding experience.

Photo by Photo submitted

Photo by Photo submitted

Adrenaline is pumping, knees are shaking, hands are sweating, and heart is beating. The room is pitch black, and the audience waits in anticipation for a scare to commence. All of the sudden, a hidden actor jumps out and screams at his audience. Adults and children alike shriek in amusement at the holiday horror. Why do so many people subject themselves to the terror of a haunted house, and where did this scare tactic begin?

“The rush of adrenaline can be a good feeling to some people,” senior Mia Roberts said. “There are also many people who just love being scared.”

The idea of spooking audiences made its way to 1930s America when Halloween pranks were at an all time high. After the depression in the 20s, kids turned to vandalism as a distraction from the impact of economic woes. Parents attempted to turn children away from this rebellious behavior by setting up “house to house” parties. Block after block, children entered basements with spooky setups, keeping them off the streets and away from property destruction.

“Haunted Houses [are] a part of our Halloween culture because people feel that they can embrace the element of fear that comes with the holiday,” junior Alex Nettles said.

Today, haunted houses, which are favored amongst teens, number around 1,200 in the United States and generate up to $500 million annually. Many students celebrate the holiday season by visiting local attractions such as Nightmare on Edgewood and Hanna Haunted Acres, which are now open for business.

“Haunted houses have stayed popular because they are staples of entertainment that have a unique ability to transcend time,” Roberts said. “Some things will always be scary, and as time passes they only get better with new technology and ways to scare [audiences].

The haunted house craze has not only swept through students, however, as Chaplain Fr. Dave Marcotte has also sought thrill from attending Nightmare on Edgewood.

“The room was completely pitch black, and I had to feel my way around,” Marcotte said. “I became disoriented and had completely circled around to the beginning.”

Nightmare on Edgewood is open every Thursday from 7pm to 10 pm as well as Friday and Saturday from 7 pm to 12 am with general admission at $25. Hanna Haunted Acres accepts visitors every Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday from 7 pm to 10 pm and Friday and Saturday from 7 pm to 12 am. General admission for the spooky experience ranges from $22 to $29 based on the day of attendance.