Filed under showcase, sports

Girls volleyball ready for postseason run

Varsity leading into sectionals on a hot streak, no plan on cooling off

SPORTING+SOME+HARDWARE%3A+The+team+celebrates+its+third+consecutive+Circle+City+Conference+championship.+The+Lady+Rebels+defeated+Brebeuf+to+capture+the+title+
SPORTING SOME HARDWARE: The team celebrates its third consecutive Circle City Conference championship. The Lady Rebels defeated Brebeuf to capture the title

The Lady Rebels volleyball team has continually delivered win after win over the course of the regular season. Having finished the regular season at a record of 25-4 with both a county and conference championship to show for it, the focus is now on sectionals. Coach Missy Marsh has established a step by step mentality with the girls regarding postseason play.

“The focus right now is definitely to take it one game at a time,” Marsh said. “We can’t look past any team and plan too far ahead. We have take each opponent one step at a time.”

The team has proven themselves to be a real contender to anyone statewide, ending the regular season ranked at 7th in the 4A class and 8th overall. The team has not attributed their winning to just one thing or another. Junior Grace Irmer gives the strong senior class credit for their leadership on and off the floor.

“The seniors have been great leaders this season,” Irmer said. “They have really helped to bring the team together and have made it easier to handle the pressures of a big game.”

Senior Taylor Kehoe believes the team’s confidence has been the X-factor throughout the season.

“We have a lot of confidence and we are proud to represent Roncalli,” Kehoe said. “We know that we have the capability to play with anyone that we face. This has helped us to ease the nerves we may have otherwise when going into big matches.”

Coach Marsh has also expressed a lot of confidence in the team’s ability to pull through in the crucial matches. She is very proud of not only how the seniors have led the team, but also how the players new to the varsity level have grown into their roles and done it in such short notice.

“I would say our young kids have improved. Miranda Wilson (R’21) is bringing so much more to the table than she did at the beginning of the year,” Marsh said. “I think [Elizabeth Origer] (R’20) is making better choices as a setter, her set selection has improved and she is learning to better read the other side of the net during the progression of a play.”

Marsh also believes that the team’s defensive prowess is a big reason for their consistent play.

“We are still not a very tall team and we go up against a lot of tall teams so our defense does a good job of slowing the game down,” Marsh said. “With that being said our offense is led by seniors so if our defense can keep the ball up, we have an experienced front court with the capability to put the ball away.”

The team begins their postseason run against Pike on October 11th and the team has high hopes that the season will not be ending there. The Rebels don’t see their run of steady play be halted at sectionals.

“Our end goal is to win regionals,” Irmer said. “We know that the teams we will see are going to be tough but we believe that there is no one that really out matches us.”     

There is still a long way to regionals and the upcoming matches will be a real challenge for the Lady Rebels, but the team has proven that they are capable of a postseason run.