Filed under features, showcase

Thrillseekers club

Obscure and exciting club offers thrills and competition

Taking Flight: Senior James Rooney jumps one of Southwestway's many rolling hills. As of October 6th, Rooney is ranked 3rd in the state for IIMTBA's boys varsity league.

Photo by Stefan Welsh

Photo by Stefan Welsh

Introduced last year, mountain biking club has become a sleeper hit, growing a  somewhat of an underground club of bikers. Mountain biking in general is a very high risk activity where injury and bruises are nearly unavoidable, making members of the club bold thrillseekers.

“I like doing tricks on my bike and the inherent danger that comes with it,” senior Calder Robinson said.

Robinson broke his arm last year after a failed landing on one of Southwestway’s more difficult trails.

“It can get pretty dangerous, especially if don’t pay attention to every little bump on the trail. I think it’s still worth it.”

Requirements to join the team are just a helmet and a bike, with the bike preferably having shocks. Shocks make it easier to ride on rough terrain and help to absorb the blow of landing. High quality bikes that are intended to be used multiple times a week can range upward of $1,000, so a good beginners bike would be a “hardtail.” Hardtails only have shocks in the front, but are considerably cheaper than a decked out bike.

“Hardtails have noticeably more impact when landing,” Robinson said. “If you’re gonna ride a bunch, then shocks in the front and back are recommended.”

Outside of recreational riding, senior James Rooney competes in . He races under and is apart of the Indiana Interscholastic Mountain Bike Association (IIMTBA), which ranks bikers based off placement/points scored in 4-5 key series races. The series ended saturday October the 6th, with Rooney finishing 3rd in the state based off the accumulated results of previous races.

“I didn’t really know what was going to happen going into it because it was my first year racing,” Rooney said, “I thought it was a lot of fun and the mtn bike community is full of nice, laid back people who enjoy being outside and the sport.”

The club travels to different local parks every Tuesday and most Saturdays. The competitive scene is finished for this year, but recreational rides will go until the 1st of December. All that is needed to attend is a proper bike and a willingness to shred.