Filed under features, showcase

Continuing the Mulinaro Legacy

The Mulinaros discuss how they handle having a trio of Roncalli attendees

TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE: Maddie Mulinaro stands by her role model George Washington in her US History classroom. He was one of the first additions to her new classroom.

Photo by Joseph Woodruff

Photo by Joseph Woodruff

One of the most distinctive features mentioned at Roncalli is the family atmosphere. However, for a few particular people, this “family” atmosphere is quite literal. Substitute teacher Joe Mulinaro, history teacher Maddie Mulinaro, and junior Emily Mulinaro all are members of this community.

Joe has been a substitute teacher since the beginning of the 2014-2015 year, as well as being currently involved with coaching Freshman softball. Although he did not attend Roncalli, his younger sister Maggie (R ‘05) and brother Tony (R ‘08) recommended it to him.

Now that I have been around the school since the early 2000s watching my siblings and kids go through Roncalli, I wish that I would have,” Joe said.

His wife, Lori, attended Southport with him and was also a major voice in sending their kids to Roncalli.

“While she is not a sub, or coach, or teacher or student at RHS, she is definitely someone that loves that our family is so involved here,” Joe said.

Maddie, who is both a student at Marian University and a teacher at Roncalli, says she was planning on coming back to Roncalli after finishing school anyway when Marion offered her the opportunity to return to teach.

She likes Roncalli because of the familiarity of the building, the faculty, and the proximity to Chick-fil-a. Both Maddie and Emily find it enjoyable to have family in the building with them.

If I don’t want to walk somewhere by myself, she’ll go with me,” Maddie said. She will sometimes go with Emily to lunch or just around the school.

Maddie also coaches freshmen softball with her dad after being a former player in the program. She enjoys the opportunity and has a great time with it.

“Everyone knows my dad, and I coach with him here which is really cool because he’s just crazy and memorable,” Maddie said.

Emily describes having her family in the building with her as “the coolest thing ever.” She also plans on staying near Roncalli after she graduates and remaining connected.

While sometimes school can be a useful break from being with family, the Mulinaros have made the most out of a unique opportunity to be together.