Filed under features, showcase

Giving the gift of life

Students and staff participate in the annual Blood Drive, 44 donors each give 1 pint

Back to Article
Back to Article

Giving the gift of life

DONATION PREPARATION: An Indiana Blood Center nurse searches for the perfect vein to draw blood from. Junior Gabby Donahue  looked calm on the outside, but reported that her nerves were through the roof.

DONATION PREPARATION: An Indiana Blood Center nurse searches for the perfect vein to draw blood from. Junior Gabby Donahue looked calm on the outside, but reported that her nerves were through the roof.

Photo by Kara House

Photo by Kara House

Photo by Kara House

One pint. Three patients. The opportunity to save a life.

Roncalli, with the assistance of the Indiana Blood Center, hosted its annual blood drive on Wednesday, October 30th. 44 students and staff gave donations, totaling 117 transfusions that will take place.

For some students, their nerves about needles skyrocketed before entering the blood center bus, but no amount of anxiety prohibited them from donating. Junior Gabby Donahue was one of these students who was fearful about giving blood.

“I was nervous and thought that I would pass out, but I breathed through [the pain],” Donahue said. “They had Beyoncé playing, so I focused on the music, and that eased my nerves.”

After the donation was complete, Donahue had no regrets about bearing the minor pain to give an unsurpassable chance at life.

“Even though [giving blood] can be painful and scary, it is an easy gift to give,” Donahue said.

Although Donahue has no personal connections to a transfusion recipient, the effects of donations hit close to home for sophomore Alex Balint.

“Blood transfusions saved my brother’s life when he was born,” Balint said. “My family hosts an annual blood drive at St. Mark to allow others to give the gift of life.”

Balint, like many other students, has not reached the required age of 17, prohibiting her from making a donation. Others may not be eligible to give blood due to a pre-existing medical condition. So how can people who are unable to donate still contribute to the cause?

“When [someone] cannot donate or does not meet the requirements, [he or she can] encourage a friend to donate in their place,” Stuco coordinator Mr. Ryan Costello said. “We are also looking into having another blood drive in the spring when more students are old enough.”

For those who were unable to sign up for Roncalli’s drive or are looking to donate again, there are two Indiana Blood Center sites in Indianapolis. Both buildings, one located in the Greenwood Shopping Center and the other at 3450 N Meridian St, are open Monday through Saturday every week with hours differing each day.

Although donating blood is not an obligation, and some are too timid or unable to take part, this is certainly an opportunity of a lifetime.

“[One] donation gets split three ways,” Costello said, “so donors are possibly saving three people’s lives.”

About the Photographer
Kara House, Staff Writer

Kara House is a junior at Roncalli. She in involved in Linus Club and Earth Club. After high school, Kara plans to study in the medical field. This is...