Rebels take Hawaii

Seven Roncalli students travel to learn more about marine biology 

Photo by Thomas Ralston

Senior Maggie Hollcraft along with Juniors Sarah Bailey, London Armstrong, and Meg Leising enjoy snorkeling with Manta rays at sunset.

For most people, a trip to Hawaii maybe just a vacation. For students interested in marine biology, a trip to Hawaii could be a chance to discover more about a future career. 

This past summer, Seven students took a 15-day trip, undertaking two weeks of school in Hawaii. Led by Ms. Carrol, the students would participate in hands-on activities either on the beach or at the school, learning more in-depth information about marine biology. Hands-on activities may have included traveling the island, or even seeing newly formed lava rock. The students also got to see locations like Captain James Cook’s burial grave, beautiful waterfalls, and giant volcanoes.

One of junior Maggie Hollcraft’s favorite activities while on the trip was snorkeling with Manta Rays. The group would wait till sunset and then go out on the water and see the rays up close. Even though not all students who go on this trip are interested in marine biology, this trip is a great opportunity to learn more about the state of Hawaii and a career in marine biology. 

As Junior Maggie Hollcraft described the trip, “I have no regrets about going and spending two weeks in paradise. I strongly recommend going on the trip if you have to opportunity”.