Space for Designing Creatively

The communications department has inspired many students to pursue web design in college.

ESPN. Tribune. DesignLab. These are just a few of the companies that web design instructor Mr. Joey Kirk has worked with in the past.

And now instead of focusing solely on working for large companies, Kirk has, for the past two and a half years, began teaching web design during Roncalli second period.

“I really enjoy what I do, and I like to share that with as many people as possible,” Kirk said. “Plus, I really enjoy this specific class.”

Due to the unique class style of web design, much more of the work in the class is done in groups to prepare for the professional working style. Kirk says that most of the work that he does is in collaboration with others.

“It’s really easy to learn in a silo, but there’s a lot better design that can come out of collaboration,” Kirk said.

Web design has been very enjoyable for the students due to the creative aspect as well as the laidback class atmosphere.

“We like to have fun with our projects and work together with each other,” said senior Jesse Sangalang.

Many of the students in Kirk’s class have enjoyed it so much that they are considering pursuing graphic design in college.

“I have been in web design for two years and have grown tremendously as a designer,” said senior Lexi Keller. “I want to major in graphic design at Xavier next year. 

With scheduling classes coming up soon in January, the communications department is a great place for students to look for new electives. 

The classes offered are web design, newspaper, digital design, mass media, journalism, yearbook, photography, and videography. Mrs. Julie Albertson oversees 4 of the classes and is the head of the department, while Kirk and Mr. Stefan Welsh teach the other communications classes. 

“I believe web design and digital design have been big factors in making my future profession possible,” Keller said. 

For any student, whether interested in a career in design or not, a communications elective is a solid place to look for a unique, exciting elective course.