Hanging on by a thread

Roncalli sports teams’ seasons begin amidst the looming thought that seasons could be cancelled at any moment

Photo by Emma Morgan

STARTING STRONG: Senior Chiara Schilten controls the ball in front of the Greenfield defender. Schilten scored a goal in this game.

Due to COVID-19, athletes saw spring seasons cancelled or postponed. Most fall athletes this year could have their season taken away in the blink of an eye.  However, sports have commenced with limited fans. 

Girls’ golf started their season at the Hamilton Southeastern invitational on August 4th. Top golfers included sophomore Elsie Kerr with 85 followed by senior Sarah Strodtbeck and senior Katy Doninger. Additionally, the team picked up a win against Bishop Chatard with Kerr leading the way with 49.

Similarly, girls’ volleyball took charge of its season with a win against rivals Franklin Central in three straight sets with junior Sarah Lezon contributing 8 kills and 4 blocks. Additionally, junior Erica Eads provided 7 kills and 3 digs. Due to COVID-19, the team saw a dip in fans as new protocols arrived.

“The fans are a big part of the game, and they are part of the reason we like playing so much,” senior Ruthie Neu said. 

Despite this, the team defeated Warren Central with junior Noelle Zingraf having 3 aces and 16 digs. They have started their season with four wins only losing to Carmel.

“We want to work on our team connection as the season continues,” Neu said.

Additionally, boys’ cross country opened up its season with a 2nd place at Ben Davis on August 15th. First place finishers included senior Matthew Croddy and junior Jean-Luc Euzen

Joining other fall sports, boys tennis began its season with a tough loss to rival Franklin Central. Singles matches winners include senior Tyler Schofield and junior Ty Ransburg. The team continues to work on its chemistry, especially in doubles.

Girls’ cross country cruised to a win with a perfect score of 10 over Lutheran. The winning relay team included junior Kylie Perkins and freshman Megan Perkins.

Boys’ Soccer kicked off their season with a 2-2 draw against Center Grove on August 15.  Juniors Colin Newett and Jair Ramirez scored Roncalli’s  goals.   

Days later, the season arrived on August 17 for Girls’ soccer against Whiteland. Roncalli took a commanding 4-0 win to establish the start of the season. Goal scorers included sophomores Nora Jordan and Rosie Elsener,  junior Kathryn Madriz, and freshman Erin Reilly. The team hopes to keep the winning going by putting their team slogan into action. 

“We have a team slogan to stay locked in,” senior Chiara Schilten said. “We all have a goal to stay locked.”

In addition to the team motto, they have looked to take the season one game at a time given the recent uncertainty. 

“Any game could be our last so we have to go out and play like it could be and control the controllables,” Schilten said. 

Given the current Covid cases, football saw their season opener cancelled only hours before kickoff due to a recent COVID case on the Southport football team. However, football was able to come back next week and deliver a 36-6 win over Franklin Central. Senior Baron Huebler filled up the stat line with 266 rushing yards and four touchdowns. Additionally, the defense forced four turnovers. Seniors Dominic Brown and Ryan Papandria both had an interception. Similarly, junior Tyson Garrett had an interception; additionally, senior Owen Volk had a fumble recovery.