JV quarterback out for the Season

Nick Stewart, falls victim to a torn ACL injury and is on the road to recovery

CRIP WALK: Sophomore Nick Stewart strolls around his house. Stewart is currently recovering in a rehab program.

Photo by Submitted

This summer, sophomore Nick Stewart experienced a season-ending injury while playing basketball for his AAU team. Tearing his ACL during a game, Stewart’s life was changed drastically,as he now has to navigate his new life of physical therapy and recovery. 

“I dribbled back into another player and we hit each other’s knees and I fell to the ground,” sophomore Stewart said.

Going out of the game for a couple minutes, Stewart knew that something was wrong. Not wanting to dissapoint his team though, he decided to go back in and play despite the pain that he was experiencing. 

“When I went back on defense, I went up for a rebound, and when I landed, my knee caved in,” Stewart said. 

After the game, Nick continued with his everyday life for about a month until he finally went to see a doctor. The doctor took an X-ray and then decided to get an MRI. The MRI revealed Stewart’s torn ACL. He is on crutches for six weeks and cannot put any weight on his leg. 

Sophomore Judson Lawrie, a long time teammate of Stewart, comments on the injury his friend is working through. 

“I know exactly what he is going through because I went through the same thing last year. It is a very long journey that people will need to help him with. That is what I needed most of the time,” sophomore Judson Lawrie said. 

Stewart’s absence in football left a vacancy at the JV quarterback spot. Nick hopes to come back stronger than ever once he’s recovered.