Born To win

Royal wrestler comes out on top at state
Photo by Zach Dozier
OUT ON TOP: Winning the IHSAA State championship sophomore Peyton Schoettle wrestles at 106 lbs. ” What prepared me was I’ve been preparing for the last 10-11 years during season and off- season and I’ve kept this moment in mind every day I woke up. I went to practice with a purpose and I believed in myself enough to do it,” said Schoettle.

During the 2023-24 State Finals, three of the four wrestlers who qualified placed at state. Sophomore Peyton Schoettle won 1st place in state for the 106 lbs weight class. Sophomore Blake Getz and senior Braden Getz both place 7th in state.  Junior James Dozier advanced to state but was eliminated in the first round. 

Schoettle trains very hard during the offseason for the opportunity to bring back home a title. 

“When I just won state, my initial reaction was grateful. Something that I had been training for almost around 10 years or so, had just been completed. I was super blessed for the support I’ve been shown over the years and I was thankful for all the hardships that lead up to that moment,” Schoettle said. 

Head Coach Shaun Richardson helped  Peyton to be prepared and stay focused for the final match. 

“Peyton once told me he doesn’t get too worried about losing. He just wants to go out and wrestle his best. I think this attitude helped Peyton stay calm and focused even in the biggest match of his life,” Coach Richardson said. 

Schoettle isn’t quite done with his career yet, with being a sophomore he will have two more years of eligibility to improve and bring home another state title. 

“I feel ready to go for the next 2 years, I’m excited for the amount of time I have to win another title, but I am not gonna overthink it and I’m not gonna put a lot of pressure on myself to win another state title. Regardless, I’m excited for these next 2 years and I’m excited to see what God has planned for my next 2 years of highschool,” Schoettle said. 

Coach Richardson is beyond proud of Peyton winning state. 

“Peyton works extremely hard, so watching him compete for the title was very fulfilling. No one is more deserving,” Coach Richardson said.