Learning a new style of music

Jazz band explores different kinds of music than the normal band
    Megan Comer and Ellie Bishop play a song on their saxophones during Jazz Band practice.  ’A Night in Tunisia’ is by far our most difficult song because it has multiple style changes within the song, and the chords are very difficult to improvise, “ Comer said.
    Photo by Nicole Hunt
    Megan Comer and Ellie Bishop play a song on their saxophones during Jazz Band practice. ” ’A Night in Tunisia’ is by far our most difficult song because it has multiple style changes within the song, and the chords are very difficult to improvise, “ Comer said.

Students in Jazz Band learn and practice a unique style of music. Senior Megan Comer plays the tenor saxophone and has been a member of the Jazz band for four years. She plays multiple songs but particularly enjoys playing “Absolute Zero”. 

“It is very chill and I get to solo for a long time towards the end of the song,” Comer said. 

Jazz Band can be more competitive than the other bands at Roncalli because students must audition for their spot. The students chosen to be in the band focus on different styles of music using instruments like the guitar, drums, saxophone, and piano. 

“A normal practice consists of playing scales we get from a random generator, practicing improv, then we run our songs until practice is over,” Comer said. 

Junior Sawyer Borders has been a part of the Jazz band for a year and a half. He plans to play the trumpet for the Indiana State School Marching Association (ISSMA) competition, and he practices regularly in order to get ready to perform. The ISSMA competition offers high school musicians across the state the opportunity to perform and be critiqued for their music. 

“For the ISSMA competition, myself and the rest of the band are doing clinics with professionals, and personally I run through songs for a long time until I make sure it’s right,” Borders said. 

In general, jazz band allows students to explore their interests in music and to meet new people who share their same passion. Sophomore Ellie Bishop plays the alto saxophone and is in her second year of being a part of Jazz Band. 

“I like jazz band because I’m with people who genuinely enjoy playing music and work hard to improve their skills daily,” Bishop said.