God’s calling in action

Theology teacher returns to a Catholic school and reunites with former students
SEEING GOD EVERY DAY: Teacher Mrs. Julie Watson is seen starting off her class with “God sightings” - instances where students see God in their everyday lives.
Photo by Isha Tandon
SEEING GOD EVERY DAY: Teacher Mrs. Julie Watson is seen starting off her class with “God sightings” – instances where students see God in their everyday lives.

In the bustling hallways of Roncalli High School, a familiar face is spotted among the new and returning faculty members. Teacher, Mrs. Julie Watson, known for her vibrant approach to teaching and her deep-rooted faith, has embarked on a new chapter of her educational career. After a significant tenure at St. Barnabas and a brief stint in the public school system, Watson has returned to the Catholic school environment, this time gracing the halls of Roncalli as a Theology teacher. 

As the school year progresses,. Watson reflects on her journey back to a Catholic institution. The warmth and support from the Roncalli community have evidently played a pivotal role in her positive experience thus far. 

“It’s going really well. I feel like I have adjusted well, and everyone here has been kind and helpful,” she said. 

Perhaps one of the most heartwarming aspects of Watson’s return is the reunion with former students from St. Barnabas, especially the class of 2024. After teaching the class of 2024 at St. Barnabas and seeing them graduate 8th grade in 2020, she has the opportunity to see them walk across the stage one final time as they venture into adulthood. 

“Some of them I don’t even recognize,” she said, marveling at their growth.”It’s great that everyone still remembers who I am… It’s wonderful to see how you guys have grown up and to find out what your future plans are.” 

This reconnection has not only been a source of joy for Watson but also for her students. The mutual excitement underscores deep-seated respect and admiration, fostering an environment where past and present seamlessly intertwine. 

Watson offered a thoughtful and heartfelt explanation about her decision to return to Catholic education 

“I wanted to talk about God; that was the main thing for me,” Watson said. 

Her time in the public school system, while enriching, highlighted a longing for a space where faith and teaching could coexist openly. This longing ultimately guided her back to a Catholic school setting, where she could integrate her faith into her teachings. For Watson, the joy of returning to Catholic education extends beyond the classroom.

“My favorite part about coming back is seeing you guys and the students I have had in the past and the parents,” she said. 

This sense of community and continuity is a testament to the lasting impact teachers have on their students and vice versa. 

As Watson continues to navigate her first year at Roncalli, her story serves as a powerful reminder of the role faith and education play in shaping not only individuals but also communities. Her journey back to Roncalli is not just a return to teaching but a return to a community that feels like family. In this shared space of learning and faith,  Watson continues to inspire students, a testament to the lasting impact of passion for students and guidance for them in education.