Game time

The girls hustle through the season heading towards sectionals
Photo by Madison Carroll
RELEASE: On senior night against Cardinal Ritter, Rebecca Zarkowski throws up the ball for her serve. Zarkowski took home a win in #1 singles. “I think I have improved my mental game this year and kept a positive attitude during a match,” said Zarkowski.

Almost halfway through the 24’ season, the girls keep their spirits high. Returners from last year that played varsity include seniors Rebecca Zakarowski, Kate Rittenhouse, Thalia Guzman, Morgan Vaught, and sophomores Lily Rutherford, and Evie Eble. 

Adding a new face to the team, Lily Bauman plays #2 doubles with her partner Vaught. To accomplish a win, partnership is key. Bauman describes that their partnership includes alot of trust. 

“Our ability to adapt to different situations depending on who we are playing also helps us work well together and win the match,” Bauman said. 

Getting ready before a match, Vaught listens to hype music to get herself energized for the match. Her goal is also to get her teammates excited for the match. Coming back for her senior season, she is focused on building relationships with her teammates. Vaught has also focused on improving her skills since last season. 

“I have gotten more consistent and have better control of the ball. I have also kept a better mindset and let myself have more fun rather than getting mad at myself when I make mistakes,” Vaught said. 

Zarkowski is also a returner and plays #1 singles. As the season nears the end, Zarkowski prepares by consistently going to practice and working hard in her matches. Goals are also being made to beat by the end of the season. 

“My goal for the season is to have a winning record and to compete well with tough opponents,” said Zarkowski. 

The team has their last home game against Heritage Christian and then faces Cathedral just 2 days later. They inch closer and closer to sectionals.