Just getting started

Lady Royals start the year off strong…
2023-2024+Varsity+Girls+Basketball.+
2023-2024 Varsity Girls Basketball.

The girls’ basketball team comes off a great 2022-23 season, with 18 wins and a Circle City Conference championship and has no plan of slowing down. Losing graduates, Sydney Horton (Trine University), Jordan Hendricks, Josie Origer, and Anna Dressman, this year’s team is led by seniors Aubrey Silcox, Jasmine Horsman, Taylor Turk, Natalie Lehner, Emme Scott, and Claire Lindsay.  

The first games of the season were definitely harder to adjust to. We’re trying to figure out the dynamics of our team right now, and I think we have finally found it,” Lindsay said. 

Along with the six seniors, juniors Summer Fishel, coming back from an injury, Eva Hurrle, a multi-sport athlete, Kalise Gutierrez, and Sara Rosko, a threat with her point-guard ability, bring a lot to the season helping the seniors. 

“There are many differences between last year’s team and this year’s, and one that sticks out to me the most is our pace,” Rosko said. “Pace and speed have been focal points in practice this year, meaning that we have a drive to push the ball up the court, have continuous motion on offense, and stay under control. We fortunately have a very athletic team, and Coach Sims has done a great job with using that to our advantage.” 

This year’s team brings a lot of talent with this sophomore class with Brennah Cerny, Reagan Turk, and multi-sport athlete Lydia Stahley who is a threat down in the paint with her height and ability to get around the defenders. 

“The first few games were learning experiences for us, because we weren’t working as a team. But this past game we played for each other and we moved the ball well. Our offense could use work but we have lockdown defense,” Stahley said. 

The youngsters of the team, two freshmen are here to deliver their awesome athletic ability and their skills. Freshmen Ella Stone and Elliot Leffler are here to be a threat to the other teams. Leffler had a great first game leading with 24 points. 

“I knew there was a lot of pressure being a freshman on varsity, but it is nice to have such supportive teammates that get you through those little stages where you lose confidence,” Leffler said.