The student voice of Roncalli athletics

For the past three years, senior Andrew Mason has been behind the microphone for RHS athletic competitions
Andrew+Mason+announces+for+a+boys+lacrosse+game+during+their+spring+2023+season.+I+wanted+to+be+a+part+of+all+the+action+even+though+I+was+not+on+the+team%2C+said+Mason.+
Photo by Marisa Morwick
Andrew Mason announces for a boys’ lacrosse game during their spring 2023 season. “I wanted to be a part of all the action even though I was not on the team,” said Mason.

A deep passion for athletics led Mason to announce over 100 contests during his high school career. Mason attributes his dedication to sports broadcasting in part to former Roncalli broadcaster Rob Brown. Brown was the leading voice of Royal sports for 15 years and over 900 games until his retirement in 2022. 

“He set an example for how Roncalli Media Network should be and was a prime example of a good broadcaster,” said Mason. 

With no prior experience of sports broadcasting before high school, Mason worked very hard to learn the ins and outs of all the sports he would announce for. 

“Basketball and football announcing was easy to learn,” said Mason, “But lacrosse, wrestling, and volleyball were difficult, because I did not have much previous experience with those sports.”

Announcing has allowed Mason to closely follow many different athletic programs and experience the ups and downs that come with sports competitions. He is especially invested in the boys’ volleyball program which has won back-to-back state championships the past two years. 

“All the programs have their unique aspects but the men’s volleyball program’s culture makes it my favorite sport to announce for,” said Mason. “My favorite memory was announcing for the men’s regional game last season.”

Mason has big plans to continue his sports broadcasting career past high school. He will be majoring in sports broadcasting at Ball State University. 

“I am excited to attend Ball State for sports broadcasting,” said Mason, “And I hope to land a job with a professional team after college.”