Out on the ice

Although not offered, RHS students play hockey outside of school

The crowd roars as the wide receiver for the Royals makes a diving catch in the end zone. But what about the crowd that roars when the puck shoots off of the hockey stick into the goal. Crickets? RHS is full of sports and clubs offered to every student. However, hockey is not one of these activities provided. Nevertheless, there are still students who participate in this sport outside of school. 

I started playing hockey when I was around 5 years old. My dad and sister inspired me to begin playing,” sophomore Alexandra Gorski said. 

She has been a part of the Indy Fusion team from a young age. Even though Roncalli does not provide hockey as a sport, she still finds a way of incorporating it into her life. 

“I feel like Roncalli should have a hockey team. I would even love to start a club for it,” Gorski said. 

Through her hockey experience, she has had many moments that we will cherish for a lifetime. Although her season primarily occurs during the winter time, she gets to see her teammates and coaches year-round at practices. 

“My favorite memories are just all of the games themselves and having my teammates beside me to win together. I know it is cheesy, but it is really not all about winning. It is about spending time with your teammates and working hard to win games,” Gorski said. 

Many activities are occurring outside of school, but still, students are involved in them. Sophomore Sam Dressman plays for the South Stars Red (varsity) and freshmen, Luke Riley, plays for the Perry South Stars. The passion for their hockey journey is not just for hockey lovers, but for all of those who will bundle up with a hot chocolate for a unique story! 

A GOAL TO WIN: Geared up and ready to take on the ice, Alexandra Gorski poses for a picture before her game. She is the goalie for her Indy Fusion team. (Photo by photo submitted )